The Old Orchard
This Old Orchard is surrounded by a tall Beech hedge and used to be planted with fruit trees, but now only a few Cherries and two Walnut trees remain. This area wraps around the Millennium Garden.
The Old Orchard - footpaths through the trees:
From 1939 to 1945 the Old Orchard area was cultivated as part of the 'Dig for Victory' campaign and Brassicas and potatoes were grown with some success.
After 1945, replanting was carried out with trees and shrubs. There was a special emphasis on Autumn berries, Viburnum, Cotoneaster and Sorbus which all thrived, especially the Cotoneasters.
Viburnum betulifolium close up (left) and Sorbus sargentiana in fruit (right):
On the West side of the garden bungalow (next to the Millennium Garden) are two large shrubs of tree like proportions they are the Euonymus grandiflorus salicifolius given to Sir Frederick Stern by Vicary Gibbs of Aldenham House, Hertfordshire. On the East side the Cornus capitata with its creamy white bracts gives a great show when in flower in June.
The Old Orchard - Euonymus grandiflorus salicifolius - with its fruit and main trunk:
The Orchard - sunlight through trees: